Monday, November 15, 2010

Watching an interesting documentary on Turner Classic Movies about the history of movies. Really interesting. Learning alot. Seeing new and funny clips and wanting to see certain films that ,apparently, I should have seen a long time ago. There's Harold Lloyd, Buster Keaton and Charlie Chaplin viewing ahead.

Thinking about how the desire to make art through film and story telling is a gift from God as is painting, sculpting, and songwriting. And just like those artforms, the end result is up to the artist: to use it for the glorification of God or for other means, to push other ideas.

expression.

Just like every other society in world history, American society didnt have a problem finding the hedonistic side to life. What I remember thinking was the 'good old days' (the roaring 20's - filled with jazz music and men who still tipped their hats to ladies and 'never cussed') was not as clean as I imagined it. There were just as many images shown that shocked audiences as there are today. I guess the problem is we can show more today but it goes to show that the battle between morality has always been around in history - we arent the only generation that is going crazy.

I wish I could express more of what I saw and felt but, I just wanted to say that seeing the history of film and how the themes of stories began to develop and how it didnt take long for the actors and actresses in those films to begin being treated and loved like royalty and gods, it makes me think of the reason behind film and storytelling and how to use that gift for a more Christ glorifying, people edifying end as opposed to just leaving the entire trade alone.

God, help me and other Christian artists write, draw and film for your glory as you lead. Or just lead as as you will.

Thy songs were made for the pure and free
they shall never sound in slavery!

3 comments:

  1. My friend, you are a breathe of fresh air!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chris this is great! I can only tell you to continue in the good works that were created for you before the foundation of the world. Ephesians 2:10. It's interesting because I was just telling Christina this idea, of people committing the same sins long ago as today. Just like Solomon says that there is nothing new under the sun. Keep it up brother.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you guys. Glad you got to read it! If you have TCM check out the Documentary Jesus and Christina! its really great - its 7 parts and its the entire history of film!
    Thank you for the encouragement, all of you. :)

    ReplyDelete